Annals ＞ Guide for Authors
Annals of the Japan Association for Philosophy of Science
We invite submissions of papers for our 32nd Annuals.
We welcome graduate and non-member submissions in all areas of study that engage in the topic of "philosophy and data science".
Paper Submission Deadline:
Saturday, December 31, 2022
The steps are shown below the page.
Yuki Sugawara, Ph.D.
GSHum, University of Osaka
- Authors do not have to be a member of the Association to submit a manuscript to this journal.
- Manuscripts considered for publication in this journal should address topics in the philosophy of science or those in other areas related to the philosophy of science. However, manuscripts that deal with specialized topics in other areas should be written in such a manner that readers outside the areas can understand their objective, follow the arguments, and be interested in the subject matter.
- Submitted manuscripts should neither be previously published nor be under review in any other academic journal. Still, manuscripts that contain substantial overlap with such articles as dissertations, reports for funded researches, or summaries of conference presentations are acceptable†.
†In the event that a submitted manuscript is suspected of containing substantial overlap with another written by the same author/s that is currently under review in any other academic journal, the editorial board shall reserve the right to exchange the relevant information about the manuscript and its author/s with the society publishing that journal in order to take the necessary action.
- The same author/s may not submit multiple manuscripts at the same time. Nor may she/they submit a new manuscript while another one of the same author/s is under review. (Still, one of the authors of a coauthored manuscript may submit another single-authored manuscript or another manuscript written jointly with different person/s.)
- The submitted manuscripts are classified into ‘papers’ or ‘discussions.’ The latter contain manuscripts discussing a paper, including a book review, previously published in this journal. Authors should specify which category their manuscript is intended to belong to. However, the editorial board shall reserve the right to change the categorization of a manuscript for editorial reasons.
- Manuscripts should be written in English, German, or French and contain no more than around 10,000 words.
- All manuscripts published in this journal will be eventually typeset in TeX (refer also to item 12 below). If author/s prepare a manuscript for submission using TeX from the start, convert the manuscript created by the journal’s TeX style file (downloadable at the bottom of this page) to PDF, and submit only the PDF by email.
When author/s prepare a manuscript using software other than TeX:
(1) If it can be converted to PDF, send only the PDF by email.
(2) If it cannot be converted to PDF, send the original file by email and, at the same time, mail a hard copy of the manuscript to our office.
- Manuscripts should include an opening Abstract of approximately 100 words and end with the list of References.
- Author/s are discouraged from submitting a manuscript with an extremely long title or multiple manuscripts bearing the same title differentiated only by numbers or any other symbols.
- Submitted manuscripts will go through a double-blind reviewing process. In order for this process to work properly, manuscripts should not contain any information that would identify the author/s, such as the name/s of the author/s or acknowledgements. Such information should be added to the manuscripts once they have been accepted. The editorial board will make all final decisions on the acceptance or rejection of manuscripts after they have been reviewed.
- Upon final acceptance of the manuscript, author/s should submit the TeX data file of the final manuscript created by the journal’s TeX style file, along with its PDF, by email. (If unable to create a TeX data file, author/s are required to cover the cost necessary for it.)
- The copyright of all manuscripts published in this journal is managed in accordance with the ‘Copyright Rules’ of our Association. Accordingly, upon acceptance of the manuscript, author/s are required to fill out the ‘Consent Form for Copyright Transfer’ (WORD file), convert it to PDF, and send it back by email, along with those files of the final manuscript specified in item 12. (If unable to create a PDF file, mail the written form to our office.)
- A PDF file of a published manuscript will be sent to the author/s.
These submission rules were last modified on November 20, 2019.
All submissions of electronic files should be emailed to the editorial board: editorial[at]phsc.jp (Please replace [at] with @)
Other postal submissions of documents should be mailed to our office: the Japan Association for Philosophy of Science, c/o Sasaki Printing & Publishing Co., Ltd., MCK Building 2F Shibaura 2-14-13, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-0023, Japan.
TeX Style files for the Annals of the Japan Association of Philosophy of Science
From the following files, please choose the one that is suitable for your electronic environment, then download and unzip it. After unzipping the file, a directory should be automatically created. It contains both the style file usable in the environment and a sample source file.